So Simple to Make, Skinny Chicken ParmigianaReport Violation
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts halves (1 pound)
½ cup Panko bread crumbs
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper
1 egg white
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
2 cups from a jarred spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce, I like Classico Tomto Basil Marinara
1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Rinse the chicken breasts under cold running water and pat dry. Pound chicken breasts to flatten, see prep tip below
2. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. In another small bowl add the egg white.
4. In a large nonstick pan, melt the butter. Right next to the cook top, dip each chicken breast in egg and then into bread crumbs to coat. Repeat with all chicken breasts and add to hot pan. Fry chicken on each side, over medium heat, about 5-6 minutes, until chicken is done and no longer pink inside. Remove chicken to a plate.
6. In the same pan add the spaghetti sauce and heat thoroughly. Add cooked chicken and cover with sauce. Top each piece with ¼ cup shredded cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, cover and cook until cheese is melted.
7. Using a spatula, remove each piece to a dinner plate.
Makes 4 servings
There are several ways to flatten a chicken breast. The most common way is to place one chicken breast in a plastic bag. Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breast to flatten to an even thickness, about ½ inch thick.
Another way we just discovered is to flatten it using a tortilla press! Place the chicken breast in a plastic bag and let the press do the pounding work. A tortilla press is made out of cast iron. You can buy it in a cookware store or a place such as Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They sell one for $19.95 and we used our 20% coupon! We now use it often for flattening all kind of meats.
For serving tips go to http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/so-simple-to-make-skinny-chicken-parmigiana/
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
SKINNY FACTS: for one serving
280 calories, 7.8g fat, 36g protein, 18g carbs, 2g fiber, 827mg sodium, 6g sugar