Skinny Sweet and Sour Cabbage Roll Skillet with Just 199 Calories a ServingReport Violation
½ cup uncooked brown rice, I like Basmati brown rice
1 pound extra-lean ground beef, see shopping tip
1 cup chopped onions, chopped
¾ cup finely celery, chopped
¼ teaspoon seasoned salt or regular salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 egg whites
1 egg, well beaten, I like Eggland’s Best eggs
1 (16-oz) pkg. coleslaw blend or shredded cabbage (4 cups)
1½ cups (12-oz) tomato sauce or marinara sauce, I use Classico Tomato and Basil or Prego Traditional Pasta Sauce
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
4½ tablespoons cider vinegar
1. Cook rice as directed on package (½ cup uncooked is about 2 cups cooked).
2. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, beef, onions, celery, seasoned salt, pepper and eggs; mix well.
3. Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet or pan with cooking spray. Add 3 cups of coleslaw blend; spread evenly to cover bottom of skillet. Spoon beef mixture evenly over coleslaw blend; spread out and press lightly with fork or back of spoon. Top with remaining coleslaw blend.
4. In small bowl, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar and vinegar; blend well. Spoon over beef mixture in skillet. Cover; cook over medium heat for 12 minutes. Uncover and reduce heat to medium-low; cook an additional 11 minutes or until beef mixture is thoroughly cooked.
5. Remove skillet from heat. With cover partially on skillet, carefully drain off liquid. Let sit for 10 minutes to set. Cut into 8 wedges.
Makes 8 servings
I used Trader Joe’s (96/4) extra lean ground beef. It contains 130 calories and 4 grams of fat for 4 ounces. Happily most supermarkets sell some type of extra lean ground beef!
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
199 calories, 3g fat, 15g protein, 32g carbs, 2g fiber, 265mg sodium, 17g sugar
For more skinny recipes, including weight watchers points, please join me at http://skinnykitchen.com