Skinny Steak FajitasReport Violation
1 pound flank steak
Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, Lawry’s seasoning salt or salt and black pepper
1 large red or yellow onion cut into thin rings
2 red bell peppers or 1 red and 1 yellow, cut into slices (about 4 cups)
1(1.27 oz) package Lawry’s Fajita seasonings mix (do not use directions on pkg. follow instructions, below) or Spice of Life “Taco Fiesta Blend”, see shopping tip
⅓ cup water plus 1 tablespoon.
1 teaspoon olive oil
8 corn tortillas or corn & whole wheat blend tortillas, see shopping tip
Topping Ingredients, optional
Chopped romaine lettuce
Fat-free sour cream or Nancy’s Skinny Ranch Dressing
Reduced-fat shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place flank steak on foil. Sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce, a little garlic powder, Lawry’s seasoning salt or just salt and a little pepper. Broil for about 4 minutes. Remove from oven, turnover, season again with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, a little seasoning salt and pepper. Broil an additional 3-4 minutes until desired pinkness inside.
2. Place steak on cutting board or plate. Save the juices on the pan to add to the fajitas. Slice steak into very thin strips. Be sure to slice against the grain. Set aside along with the pan juices.
3. In a microwave-safe bowl or large plate, add all sliced peppers and onions. Cook about 5 minutes, until soft.
4. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and heat. Add cooked peppers and onions and saute over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes. Stir often. Add cooked, sliced steak and juices from foil. Stir in fajita seasoning mix and water. Blend well. Turn heat down to simmer and continue to cook for about 4 minutes until onions are very soft and mixture is very hot.
5. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven for about 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Or, wrap tortillas in plastic wrap and heat in microwave for about 25 seconds.
6. To serve: Spoon ½ cup of steak mixture down the center of each tortilla and let everyone top with their desired toppings. This recipe can easily be doubled and tripled. It also freezes great
Makes 8 fajitas (each serving-½ cup fajita and 1 corn tortilla)
Shopping Tips- There’s a wonderful spice company called Spice of Life in Paso Robles, California. They make a delicious seasoning called “Taco Fiesta Blend” that would taste great for this recipe instead of using Lawry’s Fajita Mix. To check our their spices go to their website- http://www.pasospices.com/. I’ve tried the complete line and they are all fabulous. They ship nationwide, too!
There are many choices of tortillas out there. The lowest in calories and fat is a 6” corn tortilla. I just discovered Mission Foods Artisan Style Tortillas-Corn & Whole Wheat Blend. You might want to use them. They are really tasty…Each tortilla has 90 calories, 2.5g fat and 3 grams of fiber! You’ll find them in most supermarkets. I also saw them at Trader Joe’s under their own brand.
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
SKINNY FACTS: for ½ cup fajita and 1 corn tortilla (not including toppings)
200 calories, 7g fat, 16g protein, 20g carbs, 3g fiber, 473mg sodium, 5g sugar
For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://skinnykitchen.com