Skinny Sliders with Caramelized OnionsReport Violation
Ingredients for Grilled Onions
2 large yellow onions, cut into slices
1 teaspoons olive oil
1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Ingredients for Burgers
1 pound extra lean ground beef, I used Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef (96/4)
1 egg white
1 small yellow onion grated, about 1 cup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
12 Oroweat sandwich thin mini’s (100% whole wheat)
12 tomato slices, cut thin
Pickle slices on tooth picks for garnish, optional
1. To make grilled onions: Place the sliced onions on a microwave-safe plate. Cook for about 5 minutes in the microwave until onions are soft. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil and heat. Add cooked onions and 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Sauté on medium heat until onions are very soft and browned, about 6-8 minutes. If the pan gets too dry, add a little water while cooking. Stir often. Keep warm or reheat before serving. These can be made earlier in the day and reheated.
2. Heat a George Forman grill or Panini maker.
3. In a large bowl, add ground beef, egg white, grated onions, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, seasoning salt and pepper. Using your hands or a fork, gently mix together. Shape mixture into 12 balls and flatted into very thin patties. Form the patties as large as you can since they shrink when cooked.
4. To cook on a George Forman grill or Panini maker: Heat the George Forman grill or Panini maker and coat with cooking spray. Place burgers on the grill, flatten a bit with a spatula, close lid and cook for about 2 minutes until cook through. Remove from grill to a plate and continue cooking the remaining patties. Coat with cooking spray each time.
5. To cook in a pan: Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add 4-6 patties and cook over medium-high heat, for 2 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until cook through. Remove patties from pan. Coat pan with cooking spray and continue cooking the remaining patties. Be sure to coat the pan with cooking spray before cooking all the patties.
6. To serve: Spread each sandwich thin with 1 teaspoon ketchup and mustard. Add 1 patty and top each with a tomato slice and some grilled onions. Add the top of the sandwich thin.
Makes 12 sliders (If you’re serving with other foods, one is most likely enough)
Weight Watchers (old points) 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 3
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slider (including the ketchup and mustard)
131 calories, 2.5g fat, 11g protein, 18g carbs, 4g fiber, 289mg sodium, 3g sugar
For more skinny recipes, please join me at http;//skinnykitchen.com