Decadent and Skinny Stuffed Apple French Toast SandwichReport Violation
4 slices cinnamon raisin bread, we used Sun-maid’s
4 teaspoons reduced-sugar preserves or jam (use your favorite flavor)
1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
2 slices reduced-fat Jarlsberg cheese or Swiss cheese or your favorite
1 green apple, unpeeled, cored and sliced
3 egg whites
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons reduced-fat butter
1. Spread one side of each slice of bread with a teaspoon of jam.
2. On top of two slices of bread, on the jam side, spread each with ½ tablespoon of cream cheese. Top each with one slice of cheese and some apple slices. Place remaining 2 slices, jam side inside, on top of each sandwich.
4. Spray a medium nonstick pan or skillet with cooking spray. Melt 2 teaspoons of reduced-fat butter in the pan and swirl around the bottom of the pan. Add the dipped sandwiches to the pan. Grill for about 2 -3 minutes until golden brown, turn-over and cook the underside until golden brown and thoroughly cooked.
5. Remove cooked sandwiches from pan and place on small plates. Spread the top of each sandwich with 1 teaspoon of reduced-fat butter or spread. Sprinkle each top with a little cinnamon and sugar mixture.
6. Serve with a fork and knife and any extra apple slices on the side.
Makes 2 sandwiches
Cutting Calories Tip
One whole serving is pretty large and very filling. Sharing one cuts the calories , fat and Weight Watchers points down to, 189 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
This recipe can be doubled, tripled and so on. To keep multiple sandwiches warm while cooking all of them, place the cooked ones in a preheated 300 degree oven to keep warmed. Don’t top these with the butter and cinnamon/sugar mixture until ready to serve all of them. Add more reduced-fat butter to the pan before cooking additional sandwiches.
Weight Watchers (old points) 8
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 10
SKINNY FACTS: for one sandwich
378 calories, 10g fat, 19g protein, 2g fiber, 50g carbs, 538mg sodium, 24g sugar