Chicken à la King, a Classic Made SkinnyReport Violation
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (if slices are large cut each in half)
1 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
1½ cups onions, diced
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh pepper, or to taste
1½ cups reduced-fat milk (2%)
1¼ cups Swanson’s reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups chicken, cooked, chopped, skin removed
1 (4 oz) jar diced pimentos, drained, see shopping tip
6 medium baking potatoes (about 2-¼” to 3-¼” diameter)
1. To Bake Potatoes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and dry each potato and pierce with a fork. Bake in oven about 45 minutes- 1 hour until completely baked through. Remove from oven, wrap each in foil to keep warm. To cook in microwave: cook 1 potato at a time in the microwave. Cook for 3 minutes, turn over and continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes until soft. Remove from microwave, wrap each in foil to keep warm.
2. To Make Chicken à la King: In a large nonstick pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers in butter, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft about 4 minutes.
3. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and stirring constantly, until blended; remove from heat. Using a whisk, stir in milk and broth. Continue to whisk until the flour becomes dissolved. Place back on medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly until boiling. Continue to boil, stirring continuously for 1 more minute. Stir in chicken, pimentos and continue to cook until hot.
4. Cut baked potatoes in half. Mash each with a fork. Add about ¾ cup Chicken à la King to each.
5. This dish can be made ahead and reheated. It also freezes great.
Makes 6 servings (1 potato and about ¾ cup Chicken à la King)
Shopping Tip-Pimentos are sold diced in small glass jars. Look in the pickle or olive section or ask your grocer.
Chicken à la King can also be served over rice, pasta or toasted bread
Weight Watchers (old points) 7
Weight watchers POINTS PLUS 9
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 stuffed potato (includes ¾ cup Chicken à la King and baked potato)
351 calories, 5g fat, 24g protein, 54g carbs, 6g fiber, 346mg sodium, 6g sugar
***For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://www.skinnykitchen.com